Monday, November 07, 2005

Oh, what a tangled web we weave...

I must be tired to quote Shakespeare in a blog title. I'm sitting here during the middle of a two day trip for my current company to visit some of the customers we have here. I'm the token expert and the sales people here are making sure they get me out in front of some of their customers. So I'm doing my job and selling my company and our skills at providing high-end technical solutions.

Here's where the title comes in - I also was on the phone tonight with the person who I will soon be reporting to at my new employer. He came back with a verbal offer and wanted to go over the points that will be in the offer letter. We have an agreement.

So tomorrow, I have to meet some more customers and go through the whole dog and pony show again because it is what I am currently paid to do. But in my mind, I will know that I am one step closer to leaving to go to a direct competitor. It's enough to make my brain hurt.

To complicate matters even further, another key person in my current company resigned last week. Now, all of a sudden, certain managers I work with are worried that I might leave. If they only knew the whole story. One even met with me last week to ask what was wrong. I told her - not that I have an offer and am about to leave - everything that concerned me about my current manager and the company.

She told the owner, of course. I had expected that. Now he may have time to talk to me on Thursday. Who knows, I may have actually signed my offer by then and it will be moot.

I just wish I had been the first person to leave, then I wouldn't have some of these complications. I'm not the type of person to burn bridges - the industry is too small and you keep meeting up with people so you never know what the future holds.

However I will have to battle with myself to not use one of my favourite sayings if someone asks why I'm resigning:

It's been real
It's been nice
But, quite honestly, it hasn't been real nice

4 Comments:

Blogger Philosophical Karen said...

That's one of Frank's old sayings. (One of the few that's actually printable.) I haven't heard you use it for a while. It fits, though. ;-)

November 07, 2005 9:33 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh that just sucks....

I've been through that, you end up feeling like you're being dishonest, which really sucks when you pride yourself in always being honest....

good luck getting through it, sounds like everything will be for the best in the end.

November 07, 2005 11:30 p.m.  
Blogger Mike said...

Anonymous - That is exactly how I feel. I have to take comfort in looking forward and knowing by Friday it will all be over.

November 08, 2005 7:29 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um...try this...
Sir Walter Scott
Marmion, Canto VI. Stanza 17.

and there's more to the quote...

February 24, 2006 11:13 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home