Monday, October 31, 2005

Halloween 2005

Halloween.

Any place, anywhere that I go all the
People seem to stop and stare they say

’why are you dressed like it’s halloween?
You look so absurd, you look so obscene’

So the kids are all in their costumes looking cute, or great, or creepy, or whatever they wanted to portray to the outside world. So, this year Ben was Darth Vader again for the third year running. This year he had a full helmet and mask complete with sound effects and voice modulation (which made him sound more like Marvin than Darth Vader).

O, why can’t I live a life for me?
Why should I take the abuse that’s served?
Why can’t they see they’re just like me it’s
The same, it’s the same in the whole wide world

Well I let their teeny minds think that they’re
Dealing with someone who is over the brink

So, I usually go out with Ben and walk along the sidewalk while he goes from door to door. However when his friends showed up this year and he went off with them, I thought that the time had finally come when he wouldn’t go out with me any more.

I was so wrong.

They went up one side of our court and then looped back down the other. As they passed by our house again, Ben asked if I would be coming along. You see, I usually carry a garbage bag so that Ben can empty his bag periodically and not have to carry a heavy load. Ben just could not part with that service.

So, when I caught up with them, Ben needed to adjust his costume so I got to hold the bag, and then the next thing I knew I had is friend’s bag as well. Before any ideas of a bag-free Halloween entered their minds, I made sure they had the bags back (although I did get stuck with a broken plastic skeleton hand that Ben’s friend could no longer use).

Here’s some snapshots of the next 90 minutes on the Halloween trail:

“My toes hurt” – Every 5-10 minutes from Ben (he was wearing a pair of Karen’s leather boots)

“My hand is cramping” – Apparently holding a bag of candy in one hand and a lightsaber in the other will do that.

“I’ll be a dark Jedi for a while” – AKA “My mask is way too warm and I need my head to cool off. You won’t mind carrying this mask, helmet and the voice box with batteries attached to it with your free hand.”

“I didn’t know the lenses would fog up like this” – This struck me as an interesting comment. Imagine Darth Vader getting used to his mask and having a fogging problem. That led me to think of what Darth Vader’s journal (or even blog) might look like. Maybe I’ll try writing that blog someday…

“The lightsaber my friend has is actually part of my costume but I just found it too cumbersome carrying it and the bag. Besides, I can be Darth Vader without a lightsaber” – The explanation to several homeowners once Ben let his friend use the lightsaber.

“Can you empty the bag now” – It was time for me to increase my load.

Don’t get me wrong, I loved going around with Ben and spending the time with him and his friends this year. I just find all the complaining amusing to be coming from those who also say they are having lots of fun.

When we finally got home, exhausted (at least Dad was), we were in for the final treat of the night. For some reason that is lost to the depths of time, when Ben was in first grade his teacher suggested that he sort, count, and graph his Halloween haul. Now it has become an obsession. So tonight before he went to bed, Ben sorted and tabulated all of his candy. I told him it was too late to actually graph it.

Now, Ben has another 12 – 18 months of candy (we usually have to throw the previous year’s candy out just before Halloween) we can rest up and get ready for next year.

Lyrics from “Everyday is Halloween” by Ministry

3 Comments:

Blogger Philosophical Karen said...

I wanted to quote that song (as you know, I really like it a lot), but it just didn't work for me. You managed to fit it in quite well.

October 31, 2005 10:19 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well done. nicely written.

At least he doesn't calculate the regression of his diminishing stockpile (maybe you should suggest it though)

November 01, 2005 3:58 p.m.  
Blogger Proud Mum said...

I have to confess that I have had my math students graph candy. But I was never so cruel as to do it as an at-home assignment with halloween candy; we did it in class with m&ms.

(But I didn't have supportive, involved parents like you and Karen. I might have, if my classes were full of people like you!)

November 02, 2005 11:44 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home