Saturday, October 08, 2005

Another Pet Peeve

OK. So we went to the Rockton Fair today. I know – I should have gotten money from an ATM before we went to the fair. However that does not excuse the lack of line etiquette displayed by several of the people I was waiting in line with for the single ATM at the fair. This leads to another pet peeve list:

  1. Families do not all have to be in line together. One person will use the bank machine, so only one person really needs to be in line and not 5. The offshoot of this is that the line appears shorter.

  2. Only one person in any family uses the bank machine. It may be cute when your kids want to press the buttons, but not when you are holding up the 30 people behind you.

  3. If you choose to get a receipt printed, you can read it anywhere. You do not need to read it in front of the ATM. There is nothing the ATM will do for you anymore. Your transaction is over and other people are waiting.

  4. Get your card out and ready. If you have been waiting in line for 10-15 minutes, the moment you actually get to the front of the line to use the machine is not the moment to start searching for your card in your purse, wallet or backpack. You had plenty of time to do that in line.

  5. If your card does not swipe properly the first time, by all means try again. If it does not swipe properly the fifth time, do not stand there and keep trying. Reading the screen some more will not help, nor will turning around and announcing to the line that the machine appears to be malfunctioning. Just step aside and let the next person swipe their card.

  6. Know how much you are getting and where you are getting it from. Do not wait until you are at the front of the line to discuss with your spouse/companion/boyfriend/girlfriend/parent how much you should get and from which account. You had plenty of time to do that before everyone was focused on you and now know how much money you are carrying.

The fair was quite fun once I managed to make it through the line.

4 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

I agree with your observations. I was going to write more, but then realized it was turning into a post. I'll go back to writing on my own blog now.

October 11, 2005 5:02 p.m.  
Blogger Proud Mum said...

I totally agree! You worded it very well; very fun!

you neglected my additional pet peeve: people in front of you who blow their cigarette smoke in your face (and baby's face) while you wait.

October 11, 2005 7:23 p.m.  
Blogger Mike said...

I can't believe I forgot the smokers. When we were watching the demolition derby, I was sitting right on the end of a row in the grandstands. The person who was standing in the aisle right next to me was smoking one cigarette after another - literally. As soon as he dropped one butt, the next one was lit. :-(

I often say to Karen that people are the real problem.

October 11, 2005 9:26 p.m.  
Blogger ABQ Mom said...

I'm so glad Heather mentioned smokers. Everything she said I thought of. I agreed with everything you wrote and just want to let you know that I am one of those people that has EVERYTHING planned out in my head before I even step in line! I will never be the one you're annoyed with ahead of you in line. I PROMISE!

October 14, 2005 11:33 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home