Monday, September 26, 2005

My Favourite Music

Karen kind of hinted at my preferred music in a recent post in her blog. It's true, to look at me, I look like a very clean-cut, quiet, conservative guy. But I really don't like a lot of the mainstream music. The music I really like is very dark and sometimes quite depressing. In no particular order, I would say my 10 favourite groups/artists would be:
  • Rammstein
  • The Smiths/Morrissey
  • Bauhaus
  • Depeche Mode
  • Ministry
  • New Order/Joy Division
  • David Bowie
  • The Cure
  • Skinny Puppy
  • Sorry I can't think of a 10th that would rate with the above list.

So why do I like this kind of music?

The first thing that attracts me to certain music is the way some music can just overwhelm your senses (even if it is not played at full volume). The wall of sound that is a New Order, Ministry or Rammstein song as it hits you and carries you with it. Or how about the industrial and very complex sound of Skinny Puppy. Then there is the downright spooky sound of the Cure and Bauhaus.

It was a dark and stormy night. Karen and I had only been going out for a
while and we were on a very dark highway in the rain. I put Bauhaus on. "Bela Lugosi is Dead" creeped Karen out so much that after 5 minutes she asked me to put other music on.

The other thing I listen for is good lyrics. When I listen to the Smiths or Morrissey, I hear very depressing (i.e. Girlfriend in a Coma, Panic, How Soon is Now, November Spawned a Monster, etc) lyrics, set to music that is quite often upbeat. Depressing music really cheers me up the most -- in fact much more than happy music. I think hearing Morrissey sing about being miserable makes me realize that no matter how bad I think things might be, my life is not as bad as a Smith's song.

I was happy in the haze of a drunken hour
but heaven knows I'm miserable now
I was looking for a job, and then I found a job
and heaven knows I'm miserable now

In my life
why do I give valuable time
to people who don't care if I live or die

Two lovers entwined pass me by
and heaven knows I'm miserable now
I was looking for a job, and then I found a job
and heaven knows I'm miserable now

In my life
why do I give valuable time
to people who don't care if I live or die

What she asked of me at the end of the day
Caligula would have blushed
"You've been the house too long" she said
and I naturally fled

In my life
why do I smile
at people who I'd much rather kick in the eye

I was happy in the haze of a drunken hour
but heaven knows I'm miserable now
"You've been the house too long" she said
and I naturally fled

In my life
why do I give valuable time
to people who don't care if I live or die

Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now - The Smiths

I'm also very private about the music I like. We probably have all had to drive with people (family, friends, coworkers) who like to subject you to their favourite music over the course of a long drive. (Now, I know there are people out there who love Jazz, R&B, Country -- both New and Old -- and "Adult Contemporary" but I am not one of them.) However,when it is my turn to drive, the radio is usually off and I prefer to talk with my passengers.

When I'm in the car with Ben though we crank up the Rammstein.

5 Comments:

Blogger Philosophical Karen said...

Bauhaus is definitely an acquired taste.

September 26, 2005 9:59 p.m.  
Blogger ABQ Mom said...

I've heard of a few of those groups but the only ones I've listened to (and liked) is Depeche Mode and The Cure, though I can't say I'm a big enough fan to spout lyrics off the top of my head. I am a big fan of U2 and Indigo Girls along with others. Heard of Indigo Girls?

October 01, 2005 9:36 p.m.  
Blogger Proud Mum said...

I LOVE that song! I haven't listened to the Smiths in so long and I saw a sticker on a car on our walk the other day that said the Smiths. Then you posted about it. Now I KNOW I need to get hold of their music again.

Thanks!

"panic on the streets of London.."

October 05, 2005 3:22 p.m.  
Blogger Mike said...

ABQ: Actually I have heard of Indigo Girls but I can't say that I could identify any of their music.

Proud Mum: There have been many occasions or occurances in my life where a Smith's tune will just pop into my head and be appropriate for the moment. If you are just looking to get some good Smith's tunes, I recommend the two "best of" CDs.

October 05, 2005 10:55 p.m.  
Blogger Alyson said...

I like The Cure, Depeche Mode, New Order and a few of the others.

ABQ I sometimes like the Indago Girls. I tend to realy like their harmony and chorus's

All of it brings back so many memories.

October 07, 2005 12:27 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home