Saturday, August 27, 2005

When is the "right time" to buy a car?

I know I need a new car - or do I?

This is a question that has been bugging me for over a year now. I drive a 1997 Subaru with about 280,000 km (175,000 mi) on it. The car runs fine, is comfortable, is great on gas and gets me through snow like you would not believe.

Sure, for an 8 year old, high-mileage car you can expect some quirks. The most annoying thing is that there is a problem with one of the sensors in the engine that I almost always have the "Check Engine" light on. The mechanics have replaced the sensor and short of ripping the wires out and replacing them, I don't really know what would solve this problem.

So do I replace this car or not? If I do, should I go new or used again (I bought this one when it was three years old and just off lease)?

I drive about 40,000km (or 25,000mi) annually so I can't really lease unless I fully intended to buy out the lease at the end. So it's really buy a new car or buy a used car. A new car would cost a lot of money monthly to finance. I have been looking at used, but for the cars I want, the prices still seem to be too high.

Sigh. So that is my dilemma. I'm sure within the next year I will break down and get rid of the car I have now. I only hope whatever I get will be as reliable and last as long as my current car.

3 Comments:

Blogger Sariah said...

I say that if you have that great of a used car, why buy new? Why buy at all? It sounds like you already have the perfect car.

If you are going to buy, I suggest a new/used. Get one that is only a year or two old so it's really low on mileage and stuff. We got lucky when we bought our minivan. We got it back in February, and it is a used 2005. Perfection! Well, except for the high monthly payment...

September 06, 2005 12:09 a.m.  
Blogger Mike said...

Thanks Sariah.

I really do like my car. Maybe I'll drive it for another winter and see how I feel in the spring. :-)

September 06, 2005 9:13 p.m.  
Blogger Alyson said...

If your car is running well and isn't a money pit then I say keep it. If you decide to buy a car never buy new. Let someone else take the heavy depreatiation (I know my spelling is awful). You should also look into buying a car at the end of that companies fiscal year, for Chrysler that is february. the company is more likely to make you a good deal to help their year end bottom line. If you don't know when the companies year end is, look at the end of the month for the same reason.

September 07, 2005 2:13 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home