Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Changing Cars

Every time we say goodbye
I die a little
Every time we say goodbye
I wonder why a little

Every Time We Say Goodbye – Cole Porter

OK, ok so maybe a Cole Porter song is a little too sappy when referring to a car. But you see, I sold my car this week – my 1997 Subaru Legacy sedan which I have had since 2000 and driven over 200,000km (125,000 miles). The most reliable car I’ve ever owned. A car that I truly enjoyed driving for the 5 years I had it. True, it was – no, is – 9 years old. It also has 290,000km (181,250 mi) on the odometer. It’s also in really good condition. It required almost nothing to get its safety certificate. The emissions tests barely registered any of the harmful substances they test for. The body is in great shape and the engine still runs really smooth (you gotta love the Subaru flat boxer engine) and the AWD (all wheel drive) meant I never got stuck in any weather. My new boss was even trying to get me to replace the engine and transmission with that from a Subaru Impreza WRX STi. Did I mention he races Subarus?

So why did I sell it? Well, like all things as they get older, they have to slow down. I know I had great success with this car, but they don’t last forever and I drive way too much to have to rely on a 9 year old car. It was time to say goodbye while I still could get something for it. Besides, Karen can’t drive standard and we wanted an automatic so we could each drive either car.

Now it’s gone. The person I who bought it took possession last night and was already thrilled with it as he drove away. It only took 3 days to sell and the buyer fell in love with it when he drove it. He races as well, and – while he did not buy it for racing – it may indeed someday get its turbocharged makeover.

So, I bought a new car.

The machine of a dream, such a clean machine,
With the pistons a pumpin', and the hubcaps all gleam.
When I'm holding your wheel,
All I hear is your gear,

I'm in love with my car, gotta feel for my automobile,
Get a grip on my boy racer rollbar,
Such a thrill when your radials squeal.

When I'm holding your wheel,
All I hear is your gear,
When I'm cruisin' in overdrive,
Don't have to listen to no run of the mill talk jive,

I’m In Love With My Car – Queen

I bought a brand new 2006 Subaru Impreza. This car is a joy to drive (even if it is an automatic). With its 2.5L 175HP 4 cylinder boxer engine and AWD this car has a lot of responsiveness (although not like the 300HP STi or the 400HP my boss gets from his custom-tuned 2.5L engine). It’s enough for me. It’s also the car that I’m going to drive for the next 5 to 7 years.

I looked at a number of other cars before I settled on the Impreza. Front wheel-drive cars just don’t cut it for me anymore – I’m not used to my wheels slipping and feeling the front-end “float” in snowy or wet weather. I also looked at other AWD vehicles, but I noticed how much louder they were and they didn’t handle the same way. I have to say I’m pretty much a Subaru driver now. WOOT!

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Here in my car
I can only receive
I can listen to you
It keeps me stable for days
In cars

Cars – Gary Numan

6 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

I love that Gary Numan song.

I had to buy a new car a year and a half ago, but I didn't want to. I had a 20 year old VW GTI, that I *loved*, but some schmuck in a flat bed ran it over. (while it was parked). I wish I could have bought a VW again, but settled for something a little more economical.

Hope your new Subaru is as reliable and fun as the old one!

January 11, 2006 10:11 a.m.  
Blogger Proud Mum said...

That's exciting, congratulations!

(But what's this about Karen not driving stick?)

January 11, 2006 10:32 a.m.  
Blogger fourth_fret said...

yay for the new car! (i didn't follow all the technical talk. my rules for a car - does it run? yes? sold!)

heh.

January 11, 2006 11:26 a.m.  
Blogger Sariah said...

I love getting a new car. It's just fun, like first love. You're excited about every little thing and you're grinning the whole time.

We got our newest vehicle about a year ago now. I'm still in love with it, but it's lost all the total excitment. And it's a minivan, so I really feel like a soccer mom in it. Someday I will get to go out and buy myself a car that is for *me* and me only!

January 11, 2006 1:01 p.m.  
Blogger Mike said...

Proud Mum - Yes, the secret is out. Karen does not drive stick.

It is quite a change for me, I last has an automatic in '93.

January 11, 2006 7:32 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with Sariah, new cars are cool. I didn't learn to drive stick until 3 years ago. Maybe there is still hope? heh, I'm just sayin' . . . .

February 15, 2006 10:12 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home